Miles Sanders’ future, T.J. Edwards’ functionality and the greatest snub in Eagles historical past.
It is a short week and Nick Sirianni didn’t want us to more than-do it with the postseason coming up, so we only have six observations right now!
No, just kidding! Here’s this weekend’s Eagles 10 Random Observations!
1. Chatting with Miles Sanders Thursday at his locker room he spoke at size about how determined he was to have a occupation yr this calendar year, and he unquestionably sent, with 1,100 yards, a 5.2 ordinary and 11 touchdowns going into Dallas and his initial Pro Bowl choice. Sanders, like half the roster, is not signed further than this calendar year, and he’s declined to converse about his deal condition all calendar year, selecting in its place to target on making an attempt to support this staff get to an additional Tremendous Bowl. Sanders did say a single matter that Thursday that stood out when requested about Eagles GM Howie Roseman and his foreseeable future: “He is aware of I would like to be an Eagle permanently.” Sanders wears his coronary heart on his sleeve, and his agent in all probability wouldn’t want him stating stuff like that simply because probably you lose a tiny leverage. But it was so heartfelt and so authentic you couldn’t enable imagine maybe they’ll get a little something completed. But Roseman is good sufficient not to let emotion manual him in deal talks, and while managing backs really don’t get extremely significant contracts, some workforce is heading to pay Sanders someplace between $6 ½ and $7 ½ million for each yr. It is difficult to visualize any one in Philly that does not want that workforce to be the Eagles. Sanders obviously incorporated.
2. T.J. Edwards was under no circumstances going to make the Professional Bowl. It can be rough for unheralded, undrafted players to get that sort of recognition unless of course they put up ridiculous quantities. But what a time he’s obtaining. He’s the only NFC linebacker with two or more sacks, 120 tackles and 8 tackles for decline, and he’s just been a force all yr in protection, towards the run and pressuring. Very smart, functional and reliable. Almost everything you want in an inside linebacker. Very perfectly could be the Eagles’ defensive MVP when all is claimed and carried out. Professional Soccer Concentration rates him as the No. 3 linebacker in the NFL (powering Bobby Wagner and Dre Greenlaw, two other Pro Bowl snubs). Hell of a calendar year.
3. The Eagles picked off 12 passes in their very first eight game titles but they have just 3 in the final six – and none in their past three. A huge aspect of that is the absence of hurt Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, who nevertheless shares the NFL interception direct in spite of lacking a few online games now. But Darius Slay and James Bradberry, who experienced a merged 6 INTs immediately after 8 online games, have none in the last 6. The initial 8 weeks of the year the Eagles led the NFL with 12 INTs and 18 takeaways, not to mention additionally-15 in turnover margin. The very last six game titles, they are 19th in interceptions, 12th in takeaways and 23rd in turnover margin (minus a few). All of this makes the Eagles’ best-ranked pass protection and No. 2-ranked over-all protection even more extraordinary. They are nevertheless shutting folks down without interceptions. During these past 6 games, they are nonetheless the 5th-ranked protection despite only a handful of takeaways. This is an elite defense any way you evaluate it. And section of this is that groups just never throw incredibly significantly from the Eagles – just 166 periods these final 6 video games, 3rd-fewest in the league – due to the fact they want to prevent the Eagles’ ferocious pass hurry. But the Eagles are generating life a ton tougher on by themselves by not using edge of the takeaway opportunities when they’ve experienced them. And against genuinely excellent groups – like the Cowboys or whoever they confront in the postseason – they are heading to require those people large plays to gain.
4. A.J. Brown has a shot at the franchise record for receptions in a year by a large receiver. He’s got 74, and the record is 88 by Irving Fryar in 1996. We really do not know how numerous extra video games Brown will perform, but he’s averaging 5.3 catches for each recreation and is 14 guiding Fryar. And he has 21 receptions in his very last three video games. What a yr he’s owning.
5. Ridiculous that Donovan McNabb and Nick Foles are dependable for 13 of the Eagles’ 16 postseason wins in excess of the very last 40 years. And Randall Cunningham, Rodney Peete and Jeff Garcia with a person apiece.
6. It’s so hard to acquire on the road in the NFL, but the Eagles are 7- away from the Linc this yr, and their 9-activity road successful streak – which dates again to Gardner Minshew’s gain in excess of the Jets final Decemver – is awfully spectacular. It matches the longest in franchise background – the Eagles gained 9 road online games in a row twice underneath Andy Reid, over the 2000 and 2001 seasons and the 2003 and 2004 seasons. There have only been 15 highway profitable streaks in NFL record of 10 games or additional 100-133. League-huge each individual other team has a .412 successful share on the street this year, and every other staff has at minimum two street losses. Claims a whole lot about this team’s skill to emphasis in hard instances and be at their very best when faced with adversity.
7. No Eagles quarterback has ever crushed the Cowboys twice in a season in a calendar year the Cowboys had a winning history. Sonny Jurgensen defeat them twice in 1961, Randall Cunningham in 1988, 1989 and 2000, Donovan McNabb in 2000, 2001 and 2004 and Michael Vick in 2011. Every single yr, Dallas experienced a getting rid of record.
8. The biggest Pro Bowl snub I at any time observed was Clyde Simmons in 1989. Clyde had 15 ½ sacks – and a 60-yard INT return for a landing – that 12 months and was next between NFC defensive ends in sacks. But considering that he was a 9th-spherical decide who performed throughout from Reggie White, the Professional Bowl voters overlooked him. The reality was Simmons was a tremendous player in his own right, and we saw that when he had extra than 50 sacks late in his vocation when he was not playing with Reggie. Not only was Clyde a monster move rusher, he was as fantastic a run stopper as you’ll ever see from an edge rusher. And did you know Clyde never skipped a game in 15 several years? Played 236 of a achievable 236 online games, lacking only the three replacement games in 1987 when nobody on the Eagles crossed the picket line. Clyde at last produced his to start with of two Pro Bowls in 1991, and Jerome Brown was so content for him he punched a hole in a wall in the Eagles’ locker home at the Vet.
9. A sign of just how constant the Eagles’ pass rushers have been: The Eagles have 3 or far more sacks in eight straight video games, which matches the longest streak in the NFL considering that the Seahawks experienced a nine-activity streak in 2005. If they file 3 sacks Saturday night in Dallas – and the Cowboys are No. 1 in the NFL in fewest sacks allowed – they would match the 4th-longest streak in heritage with 9 straight online games of a few or much more sacks. They’ve currently tied the NFL history with six sacks in a few straight online games likely into Dallas.
10. It speaks volumes about how beloved Jason Kelce, Jordan Mailata and Lane Johnson are all around right here that their Christmas album has by now raised over a quarter of a million pounds for the Children’s Crisis Treatment method Center. Which is incredible. These fellas are all so related with the Philadelphia local community and so devoted to will cause that are vital to all of us. Kelce is from Ohio, Johnson from Texas, Mailata from Australia. But it is hard to picture any individual currently being a lot more Philly than they are.